The Jailbreak modification is probably one of the most useful iPhone 5 enhancements nowadays and if you are thinking about doing it then don’t worry as there are a few easy ways to do it. Once you successfully modify your gadget you will experience all the benefits in having an enhanced device.
To get started right away, get the needed tools here: Jailbreak Tools
You may follow the steps below to enhance the functionalities of your device.
- You need to make sure that your device is updated or it is running iOS 6+. You can do this by simply using OTA or iTunes. Install the updated version properly and once the process is completed you may then start performing the steps below.
- Another thing to remember before doing the modification is to ensure that you have already created a backup of all your files in the device. This will ensure that you will still have your data in case something goes wrong during or after the process.
- The first thing that you need to do is to simply download the modification tool from its website. Once you have successfully downloaded it you may then launch it through double-clicking on its icon.
- You need to guide the device to the correct IPSW in order to modify the correct version of iOS 6. You can do this by simply selecting on the option that says “Extras” from the main menu.
- The next thing to do is to specify the right firmware in a manual manner and this can be done by clicking on “Select IPSW”. You will see three options in the window and you just have to click on the “Select IPSW” button next to the text that says “Manually specify an IPSW”.
- Once done the software will show a window saying “Successfully identified”, if this happens move to the next step by choosing the firmware for Beta version 1 and then click on “Back”.
- Choose the “Jailbreak” option to let the program process the firmware. The screen will then display a few options.
- It is important to note that Cydia is not yet available for this modification so what you need to do is to ensure that you select the “Install SSH” option. In the screen you will see four check boxes, just check on the first one with “Install SSH” text adjacent to it and then click on the “Next” button.
- The next thing to do is to simply put the device in DFU mode. This will start the modification process and you need to ensure that nothing interrupts the process.
- Go to the power button and hold it down for five seconds. Hold down the Home button with your other finger for 10 seconds. You need to ensure that you are still holding down the two buttons simultaneously.
- Hold the Home button still and release only the power button. You may then continue holding the home button for 15 seconds more.
- Look at the software application’s main menu and click on the option that says “Extras” and then “Just boot”.
- You will know if the device has already been modified because it will then reboot. Make sure that you release the buttons when the device reboots.
- Since Cydia is not included in the software you need to install it on your own. Follow the steps below to install Cydia:
- Go to your device’s settings and find its Wi-Fi address.
- Open the Terminal app and type ssh root@[youripaddress]
- Once you are prompted with for a password just type alpine. If you have changed the SSH password then use the new one.
- –wget –q-O/tmp/cyinstall.shhttp://downloads.kr1sis.net/cyinstall.sh&&chmod755/
- The terminal will then run some scripts and once your device reboots it only means that Cydia is already installed.
Once again, the needed software to do all of this can be found here: Jailbreak Tools
Pros And Cons In Doing The Modification
- Doing the modification means that you will be free from your mobile service carrier. This means that you will be able to take advantage of pre-paid services and to save a lot of money by not getting stuck into the subscription fees of one network.
- Another thing is that you will be able to gain access to a wide variety of exciting applications which can’t be accessed by an unmodified device. Among the applications include the MyWi, Intelliscreen, MxTube, My3G and PDANet.
- If you have a modified device it will be quicker and easier for you to open your device.
- The modification process is reversible and once you want to put the device back to its original condition you can simply do it.
- You can use the FaceTime video chat feature if you have a modified device and if you are connected to the internet.
- One of the things to consider before doing the modification is that your device may end up bricked or damaged during or after the modification process especially if you use the wrong method or tool and if you do the process improperly.
- The modification can void your warranty so in case it gets damaged you won’t get any support from the manufacturer.
- Security issues are also one of the disadvantages in doing the modification. Since the manufacturer can no longer regulate or take control of the applications that your device uses there is a great chance that you can get malicious or harmful programs.
The advantages in doing the modification actually outweighs the disadvantages as it can break down the barriers between you and tons of exciting features and useful functionalities of your device. You just need to ensure that you follow the modification steps properly and that you use a software program that is unquestionably reliable.